Friday, July 23, 2010

Education Lost

One of the lasting moments of this class was when we were in D.C. with all of the students. The illustrious professor accompanied the group, and yet, sadly, he never came and talked to the students from our group. Not once. They didn't say anything, but I knew from that point on he had lost those 5 kids. I have always believed that teachers should never become "Friends" with their students. Yet, they do need to engage the students, and try to develop a relationship and get to know who they are. This was a chance for this teacher to connect with these kids, try to find out why they were failing the class. But the chance was lost.

When the students returned from this trip, the Holocaust class became hopelessly meaningless. I tried offering help, after school study sessions etc. but it was to no avail. They came to the final weeks, bored, inattentive and unruly. They all failed the final, and failed the class. The C's that they needed did not come.

Likewise, I felt I failed in a way. I had hoped something would spark them. Soon they found my efforts to be annoying as well. I truly think the ship was lost in D.C.

They were good kids, I believe that wholeheartedly, yet they were never inspired to learn about the Holocaust and why the living and dead that were put through it had their tales fall on deaf ears. The teacher too was a good man, extremely knowledgeable about the history of this era, yet completely void of knowledge of adolescent pedagogy.

And so I begin my quest to right a wrong, to bring the tale of a vibrant young Jewish girl, to students, in the hopes, of letting a past generation, tell their story of a people that were squashed under tyranny and oppression, yet survived to rise again, and walk proudly.

It is a tale that must be told.

My journey begins here.

No comments:

Post a Comment